It feels like this is the first time I’ve sat down all day. Of course it isn’t, my Master Lazy Gene would not allow that to happen.
I finished up the Pirate Quilt top.
Of course not the best picture. I’ll make more of an effort when I get it all finished. I had high hopes of whipping up the back and maybe even running it to my LQS and get it in line for quilting. Was not to be. First off the borders gave me nothing but grief. Not as much as usual; but still not easy. Part of the problem is the instructions for the borders were “piece the borders”. Ummmm… ladies do you know who you’re dealing with? The first border (right hand side) took me 2-1/2 hours and I had to pick bits of it apart. Some parts 3 times. Other parts just once. Alrighty, now I know the measurements I’ll whip that left side out no problem. And I did. But… (you knew there was one right?) The green bits, well it was supposed to be a different fabric. Which I didn’t realize until it was attached to the quilt. Well no big deal. I like the way it looks. Now measure, cut, measure, figure… oh shit. I’m not going to have enough of the same pattern fabric for the top and bottom. And it will look hella stupid if those two don’t match. Ok, let’s fudge this thing, what can I do? Ah ha! I’ll add some red next to skulls like I did on the side. Nope, not going to do that due to the fact I butchered the fabric into tiny unusable pieces getting the bits for the sides right. So the compromise was the coin fabric. It works, but I know it isn’t ideal at all. It should be much more contrasty than it is, but finished is as good as perfect around here thankyouverymuch.
And the second reason why it didn’t go for quilting? My backing is too small. I don’t know if I bought too little or I was shorted. I bought it off the internet last year, so what’s done is done. I’m going to have to piece the backing now. I’ve got a plan (no measurements yet) and it only involves 4 seams so hopefully it won’t be too bad. Maybe I can hit the fabric store tomorrow, but I’m not counting on it. Thursday is more likely.
Block 10 (no pic – see lazy) should also be finished by now, but I spent last evening screaming and carrying on while watching my Steelers win. No stitching was done. And since I had to take care of some housework, laundry, storage unit run, and drop some junk at the local charity shop too… well the cow is nearly finished. I’m hoping to make a sizable dent in the house tonight.
Tomorrow I’ve got work, I’m hoping in the evening I’ll manage to finish HoHRH.